|City of Durres|
Durres is the second city of Albania, and the major sea resort of the country. Located on the Adriatic sea at only 30 km from Tirana, through the international Airport of Tirana is very well connected to the rest of the world. Modern hotels, hundreds of restaurants, long sandy beaches, blue sea and important archeological sites make the stay in the city very pleasant and interesting.
Durres, formerly Durrazzo, is one of the oldest towns in Albania. The legend says that it was founded by Epidamnos, the Illyrian King of the area, who called it by his own name and named the port area after his grandson - Dyrrah. In 1627 - 1626 B.C. Greeks from Corfu and Corinth invaded the area and called the town Dyrrachion. In the 4th century B.C. Dyrrachion had become an independent city - state, producing metalwork, pottery, fabrics, leather and ships and its coins were circulating throughout the ancient world. In 229 B.C. Durres was taken by Rome and under roman rule, the town was called Dyrrachium, which became the starting point of the Via Egnatia. The famous Roman orator, Cicero called Durres an "admirable city", while the poet Catullus called it the tavern of the Adriatic.
The remains of the walls of the Fortress of the City belong to the 6th century; the addition from 13-14th century. The Amphitheatre is one of the biggest and most exquisite monuments that have survived from the ancient city. It was built in the 2nd century A.D. In the early Middle Ages, it was abandoned. In the 10th century, a chapel and cemetery were built upon its areas and galleries.
Ancient Durres, like many cities along the Adriatic Sea, evolved around a lagoon, a safe harbourage. It seems likely that the lagoon was originally entered from the north, from Porta Romana bay. The nucleus of the Greek colony probably resided around the lagoon side, with its cemetery extending up the steep hill behind it. The great Roman port – the starting-point of the Via Egnatia – is situated further south, occupying a prominent point on the water’s edge. The town, it appears, has been concentrated here ever since, only recently expanding inland to cover the southern half of the now dried-up lagoon.
"Aleksander Moisiu" Theatre.
The cinema hall in the theatre “Aleksander Moisiu” has a capacity of 400 seats. The press conference hall is in the second floor which has all the commodity needed for the press presence, all the area is with internet. In the third floor of this theatre is the “Nikolin Xhoja” hall where all the masterclasses will be held with the invited cinematographers in this event. In the hall of the second floor of the theatre is the space of the bar where there will be free service.
Ancient Roman Amphitheatre.
The amphitheatre is not only the biggest one in the territory of present-day Albania, but also in the western Balkans. It was constructed under the rule of Roman Emperor Hadrian (117-138 AD). It is believed to have had a capacity of 15.000 spectators, which is quite impressive for that time. Not only the capacity but also the construction method used make the amphitheatre quite unique for that time. Every evening during the festival in the amphitheatre arena 1100 viewers sit and enjoy the magic of the cinema in one wonderful atmosphere.